Centrify is proud to be a Data Privacy Day Champion because we work tirelessly each day to protect our customers and their data privacy. We believe that all of us, whether at work or as consumers, should be aware of data privacy issues (who has my data? what can they do with it? what are they doing to protect it?) and take steps to protect personal data and business’s data. So, when we found out we could help champion Data Privacy Day we jumped at the chance. In recognition of Data Privacy Day, Centrify brings various supporting messages about how to keep data private in today.
Seven Tips to Reduce Risks of Data Breaches
- Consolidate identities: Sixty-three percent of data breaches involve weak, default or stolen passwords, according to Verizon’s 2016 Data Breach Investigation Report. It’s critical to develop a holistic view of all users and strengthen and enforce password policy, or eliminate passwords, where possible.
- Audit third party risk: Outsourced IT and third party vendors are a preferred route for hackers to access corporate networks. Conduct audits and assessments to evaluate the security and privacy practices of third parties.
- Implement multi-factor authentication (MFA) everywhere: MFA, including third parties and the VPN that adapts to user behavior, is widely acknowledged as one of the most effective measures to prevent threat actors from gaining access to the network and navigating to target systems.
- Enable single-sign-on (SSO): SSO to enterprise and cloud apps, combined with automated cloud application provisioning and self-service password resets, cuts helpdesk time and cost, and improves user efficiency.
- Enforce least-privilege access: Role-based-access, least-privilege and just-in-time privilege approval approaches protect high value accounts, while reducing the likelihood of data loss from malicious insiders.
- Govern privileged sessions: Logging and monitoring of all privileged user commands makes compliance reporting a trivial matter and enables forensic investigation to conduct root cause analysis.
- Protect the inside network: Network segmentation, isolation of highly sensitive data and encryption of data at rest and in motion provide strong protection from malicious insiders and persistent hackers once inside the firewall.
Data Privacy Day is an international effort held annually on January 28th to create awareness about the importance of respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust. This is very important to Centrify.
In addition, we want to help keep you and your families be #PrivacyAware and safer online. We encourage you to sign up for the National Cyber Security Alliance’s family online safety newsletter, #CyberAware. Each month you will receive helpful information about online safety news and free resources for you and your family.